Tomorrow marks one month since I returned to work full-time, after 5 years at home with the kids. I did not ease back into it. I did the exact opposite of easing back into it. Recently at a stress-management workshop, I ticked off a few relatively low-scale stressful events that I’d experienced personally in the past year. Adding them up would give you some kind of indivudal stress rating, which I didn’t get round to. The events had happened in the past two months, and considering this, we’re doing ok.
Let me tell you what has happened in my world in the past two months in chronological order:
- Graduated from/Left Playcentre
- Partner changed jobs from full-time to Flexi part-time, working from home and being primary caregiver
- Bought a house
- I stopped being the primary caregiver of our three children
- Brother moved out of our home
- Moved to a new town
- Started a full-time job
- Sold a house
- Started renovation enquiries.
And so on and so forth.
I wouldn’t recommend this way of returning to work if you’ve got the choice. I could’ve been a lot kinder on myself. But I wanted a change of scenery. I definitely have one now. The future is so bright up here!